Tonsil stones are actually a build-up of calcium, bacteria, food and dead cells that settle on the back of the tonsils.
Over time, they settle and become hard; however, they can be easily removed using a number of different methods.
One of the easiest methods for getting rid of tonsil stones involves changing your diet. Here are a few guidelines for your next grocery shopping trip.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables: This is something you should be doing anyway, but is especially helpful in getting rid of tonsil stones.
- Stop smoking: Inhaling smoke will only exacerbate the problem and will make it harder for the stones to loosen because of the chemicals and bacteria that the smoke contains.
- Limit your alcohol intake: Alcohol will only make your tonsil stones worse and make it harder to remove naturally.
- Reduce the amount of dairy products you eat: Too much calcium will cause the build-up of stones. Severely limit or cut out all dairy products if you can.
- Eat more celery and cucumber: These foods will help loosen the stones and clear out some of the bacteria that have built up.
- Wasabi: This Japanese herb is believed to help get rid of tonsil stones, as well as prevent them from re-occurring.
- Drink more water: This will help loosen the tonsil stones and flush out any bacteria as well.
- Limit your intake of caffeine and sugar: Limiting these substances will help prevent future tonsil stones from occurring.
Like many natural cures, following a diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains will go a long way towards creating a healthy body, both inside and out. It’s important to find the root cause of the tonsil stones; this will give you the information you need in order to prevent them from happening in the future.
Your diet could be the root cause of your tonsil stones. A poor diet, or one that includes too much processed foods, sugar, caffeine and alcohol could be why you’ve been suffering all of these years.
It’s important to go to your doctor and get properly diagnosed before seeking out treatment, natural or otherwise. Never self-diagnose or try to treat your symptoms without first knowing what’s causing them.
Your doctor is a professional; they will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis. Once you know what the problem is, you can decide what treatment method you want to try.